San Diego Museum of Us
Unearth a world of adventure at the San Diego Museum of Man, the impressive cultural anthropology museum in beautiful Balboa Park.
- Plan A Visit
- California Tower Tour
- Buy Tickets
- Calendar of Events
- Hold Your Next Event
From monsters and beer history, to our relationships with animals and the truth about cannibalism – there’s something for everyone at the San Diego Museum of Man!
The Museum of Man is a cultural anthropology museum that explores the human experience from multicultural perspectives to spark dialogue, self-reflection, and human connections.
During your visit, you’ll explore a variety of unique, interactive exhibits that cover a vast range of human history and culture, including:
- Cannibals: Myth & Reality – In this thoughtful (and gore-free) exhibit, you’ll discover that cannibals aren’t who you think they are. They’re warriors from many cultures, European kings and queens, American and European sailors, American colonists, accident survivors, the sick, and more. You might even find you have some cannibalistic habits yourself. This is exhibit is on view for a limited time, and is recommended for ages 10 and up. Special charges apply.
- PostSecret – For over a decade, millions of people all over the world have been anonymously sharing their secrets with Frank Warren, founder of the community art project, PostSecret. Each postcard submission is a unique work of art handmade by people who needed to share and release their secret into the world. Now, you can share in those secrets in this one-of-a-kind exhibit: experience thousands of original postcards from the PostSecret project, discover San Diego’s secrets from locals, and share your own secret by creating and submitting a postcard of your own.
- Living With Animals – Humans have formed all kinds of relationships with the animals in our daily lives, but whether we see an animal as a pet, a pest, or food has changed over time and across cultures, In this exhibit you’ll discover all the surprising, unique, and inspiring ways that we live with animals. You’ll find we’re not human without them! Also, check out the Museum’s special programs on honeybees, birds, therapy pets, and more, held in partnership with local animal organizations.
- Race: Are We So Different? – Most of what we think about race is based on myth, folklore, or assumptions unsupported by genetics or biology. This exhibit explains the origins of race and racism, and helps us understand how to deal with them in productive, enlightening ways. It is a platform to raise awareness, build community, and positively impact the ways in which we treat each other.
- BEERology – Agriculture, cities, writing, and religion all have ties to ancient craft brewing. Learn fascinating stories and see phenomenal artifacts that reveal the links between beer and culture.
- Monsters! – Learn about different monsters and creatures from across the span of human history and culture. Visitors can make monsters of their own on a giant magnet wall, learn the real stories behind monster legends, explore monster habitats, and much more.
- California Tower – Climb the iconic California Tower to see San Diego from new heights and learn about the diverse history of the city on a 40-minute guided tour. Special charges apply.
Regular programs include twice-monthly yoga classes in the Museum’s spacious rotunda. Check the calendar for upcoming events. Guests may also rent the main museum or its St. Francis Chapel for corporate and private events. Call (619) 239-2001 ext. 31 for more information about private events and rentals.
Located in Balboa Park
1350 El Prado
San Diego, CA 92101
Call (619) 239-2001